Connecticut is preparing to offer Covid-19 boosters to people 65 years of age and older or those identified as high risk who have previously received a Pfizer vaccine, the State Department of Public Health said on Friday.
This comes after the Food and Drug Administration’s advisory committee voted to recommend authorization for emergency use of a booster dose for these groups. The committee did not offer a recommendation for those who received a Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Further discussions on these recommendations are expected in the near future.
The FDA vote was just the start of the process, not a final decision. Further guidance will come after a meeting of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), which is scheduled for next week, where the FDA will offer a final recommendation.
Although the schedule is subject to change based on ACIP guidelines, state officials said they were ready to start giving booster shots as early as September 24.
State officials continue to urge anyone who has not received a Covid-19 vaccine to do so.
“COVID-19 vaccines licensed in the United States continue to be remarkably effective in reducing the risk of serious illness, hospitalization and death, even against the widely circulating Delta variant. It is essential that unvaccinated and partially vaccinated people receive their primary series of vaccines to further reduce the risk of COVID-19 and its most serious consequences. Almost all cases of serious illness, hospitalization and death continue to occur among those not yet vaccinated at all, ”DPH wrote.
DPH also noted that there is a sufficient supply of vaccine to make boosters available.
The same FDA advisory committee that recommended the boosters for the elderly and those considered high risk rejected a plan to give the boosters to the general population, citing a lack of data on the safety of additional doses. and questioning the value of a mass recall deployment, rather than a targeted target on specific groups.