The countdown is on to 2022, but the surge of COVID-19 cases is changing plans.
The organizers of First Night Hartford are happy to welcome their New Years Eve tradition back to Capitol City after it went virtual last year.
But on Wednesday, they made some changes as Covid cases increased.
âWe started with 12 indoor venues for the 12 intentions of the year. We’ve narrowed it down to 7 – the sites that have the best ventilation and the best social distancing capability, so we’re glad to still have indoor sites available, but the weather is going to be amazing on Friday, âTaneisha Duggan said, creative producer for the event.
The event requires the wearing of masks indoors and outdoors.
In New London, The Oasis Pub has closed for the rest of the week, which means they won’t be having their New Years party.
âA few of our bartenders at the Oasis have tested positive in the last few days, and as an added precaution, you know, we thought it would be best to just take a week off,â said Sean Murray , director of the Oasis Pub. and The Social Bar and Kitchen.
He says the Social Bar and Kitchen maintains its party plans, but all servers and patrons are required to wear masks.
âLike any restaurant, I guess these days we just have to figure it out as we go,â he said.
The Max Restaurant group knows the sentiment.
But despite the increase in Covid cases, Scott Smith, the group’s vice president and chief operating officer. says people are still looking to make reservations for New Years Eve.
âThe demand is very high. You know, we have one or two locations where we’ve actually held bookings because we don’t know how many staff we’re going to have and assess that day, âSmith said.
This is because the group, like many other restaurants and businesses, juggles the schedules of employees who are on sick leave.
âWe have groups of employees who have tested positive or are showing symptoms, so we are very careful and are removing them from the restaurant immediately,â Smith said.
A similar situation with members of the cast closed a New Years Eve show at the Shubert Theater in New Haven. The announcement for “First Night of Funny” was made on Wednesday.
âWe’re just rolling with the punches. Unfortunately with what is going on, âsaid Peter Damien Loza, Managing Director of the Shubert Theater.
This is the second show canceled this month.
âThe show’s producers have decided to reverse an abundance of caution for their cast, crew, our theater staff and, most importantly, our audience,â Loza said.